bries is looking for artists who want to respond to the very recent past
The Open Call is for artists who work and/or live in Friesland. Submit your work before 15 January 2021 via email@example.com. Six of the entries will be part of a Friesland-wide poster campaign at the end of January 2021. The winning artists will receive an honorarium of €1600,-. Bries is looking for Frisian artists’ responses to these difficult times and their visions for the future, preferably new work that responds to (one of) the following questions:
Which mirage inspires us and is worth being portrayed? Can the Corona crisis be seen as a punishment for our sins? (If so, which ones?) Does this time of crisis also bring good things? What will we do when the Corona waves recede? What can we fall back on? How do you see the future for all of us?
Six entries will soon be displayed throughout Friesland on signboards, on posters behind windows and in the streetscape. Bries wants to inspire people to think. As a sequel to the posters Bries is also preparing a series of Hagenpreken (‘field sermons’) in 2021. In this series Bries focuses on free thinkers who have an outspoken view on the present and the future. Held in the open air, the in-depth Hagenpreken afternoons combine outlooks on art, culture and society are offset with stimulating, theatrical components.
Submit your work before 15 January 2021 via firstname.lastname@example.org. Entries will be judged by a jury consisting of B.C. Epker, artist; Hanne Hagenaars, curator of modern and contemporary art at the Fries Museum; and Agnes Winter, director of VHDG. Use a standing poster format, as the six winning entries will be included in a poster campaign.
- Artists can sign up with existing work or with work made in response to this open call.
- Only one artwork per artist.
- You can only apply with a digital file (JPG or PDF 300dpi) via email@example.com.
- Questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Participants will be notified after 18 January.
- The choice of material and shape is up to you. Because the six winning images will be included in a poster campaign, use a standing aspect ratio of 104 x 84 cm (height x width).
- You consent to image being used in the poster and PR campaign if it is one of the winning entries.
- Include a brief motivation/description of your connection to Friesland in your application