view of the turfmarkt in leeuwarden
This impressive building on the Turf Market in the province’s capital Leeuwarden, is called the Chancellery. It was built around 1570 to accommodate the province’s court of justice as well as its government.
View of the Turfmarkt in Leeuwarden, Cornelis Springer, 1873
On top of the stepped gable there is a statue of a male figure that represents divine providence. The female figures on the remaining 8 steps represent justice, faith, hope and courage.
During its long history the building has had various functions, including those of an army barracks and a hospital. When Springer painted it in 1873 it accommodated an office for military and civil insurances. And until 2013 it was a part of the Fries Museum.